Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Small Choices

I woke this morning to find a light, drizzly fog had settled in. And it was cold. “Should I run in this,” I asked myself. The answer: “hell yes!”

Sometimes I find it amazing that I can go from not feeling like running to completely enjoying myself once I get going. Today’s run was supposed to be an easy 6-miler, and that is exactly what I did; but I found myself picking up the pace and enjoying the cold, foggy morning more than I had any right to.

So let’s suppose that instead of going out for my run I stayed in bed a little longer. I can guarantee you that I would not be feeling as good as I do right now. I would instead feel depressed by the cold, gloomy weather and waste a perfectly good day.

Often times I wonder if I might not be my biggest obstacle to success – success being whatever goal it is I have set for myself. I find that I place these limits on myself, dooming myself to under-performance. For instance, only a few years ago I was in such poor physical condition I couldn’t even run three miles without hurting my back, hips, knees or ankles. I was fat, pre-hypertensive, pre-diabetic, and had numerous aches and pains throughout the body. At that time, I felt that I was just old and had to accept that my body wasn’t what it used to be. Then I realized I was slowly dying and needed to do something about it. So I started running again.

Now, here I am at the age of 39 and I feel like I am in the best physical condition of my life — excepting a few aches and pains that really are the product of aging. Only two years of training and I have completely reversed my downward spiral.

Sometimes I wonder if it was my destiny to get back into running again and save myself from that early heart attack I was working toward. Then I realize there is no such thing as destiny, only choices. And the choices that matter most aren’t the big ones, but the small ones that are made each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment