Saturday, May 8, 2010

Am I Hurt?

I ran eight and a half miles today. The legs felt a little tight after skipping my Friday run. I haven’t skipped a run in a while, but the weather has turned cold and overcast, which is not my favorite mix. The wind was also brutal at times, even with a shell jacket. Yet somehow, I found myself really enjoying the run towards the end. It’s funny how that works: a run that starts bad ends wonderfully.

After the run, the strangest thing happened (or maybe not totally strange, just a little unexpected). I was stretching my calves when an Asian woman walking out to her car stopped and asked me if I was hurt. This isn’t the first time I’ve had someone ask me that question. Either I must really look like I am in agony when I am stretching (which is possible, given how inflexible I am) or certain people are totally unfamiliar with the concept of exercise and stretching. I assured her I was doing just fine, and she left me to my fun.

Tomorrow will be even more fun because I get to run 15 miles, a good portion of it on the trails. Trails should be great with the rain we’ve had – nice and muddy. I expect when I am done and covered from head to foot in the brown stuff (mud, that is), I will get a bunch of odd looks and possibly someone else stopping to ask if I am hurt. After 15 miles in the mud, I might just say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment