Monday, May 3, 2010

Running Strong Again

May has definitely arrived in Chicago. I couldn’t have asked for a better morning to run, and I felt in full running form as well. I love it when I feel good on a run. You might know what I am talking about: your legs and arms lock into a perfect rhythm, your feet feel as if they are hardly touching the ground, your breath is smooth and easy, and you feel as if you could run forever even as you steadily increase your pace. Some of the commuters driving by as I came charging down the road this morning must of thought I was drunk or just plain crazy, because I had a big grin plastered on my face as I went shooting by.

I know some people (or maybe many people) think running is some sort of torture that people engage in only because they want to improve their health, look better, or even win races. In my case, though, nothing could be further from the truth (well, I do like to do well in races). For me, running is recreational. I run because I love it – even on the bad days.

In fact, I would argue that because I love running so much, I am more likely to do it consistently. It is this consistency that brings about improvement, allowing me to go farther and faster. And the farther and faster I go, the more running I end up doing. It’s a virtuous cycle: love what you do and you become better at what you do and can do more of it.

Funny that it took me so many years to discover just how much I love running – including many years of poor health. I suppose it is true that age brings wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment