Monday, May 24, 2010

Fast 16 Miles

I surprised myself on Sunday by running 16 miles in around 2 hours, or about a 7:30 per mile pace. The day started out muggy, with temperatures in the low 80s by the time I finished. In other words, it was a lot hotter than I am used to. But I felt surprisingly strong and had plenty of water with me.

After I finished, my legs actually felt fairly good and I was not as exhausted as I thought I would be. I drank a water bottle full of chocolate milk immediately after finishing and then walked about a mile to cool down. Later in the afternoon I felt a little stiff but still surprisingly good.

I am not sure why it felt so easy, but I feel that part of the reason was the difference in running course. I have been doing my 14 to 15 mile runs on rolling paths and trails; I ran my 16-miler on a flat biking trail.

After a day of rest on Monday, I feel ready for another week of running. I am also starting to feel more confident that my time goal for Chicago later this year is not totally unrealistic. Who knows, maybe I might even surprise myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment